Last Updated on April 9, 2021 by Steven C. Martin
Your skateboard deck is the pipeline of skating success. Trust me! This is the truth. Do you know, among 8 out of 10 beginners fail to choose the right and best skateboard decks?
This is because of fascination. Now, is it wise to throw your hard-earned cash into attraction? I am sure “No” In fact; no one wants to ruin their skating career.
This is why I have come with a solution. That is the best skateboard deck idea. In this article, I have aligned my ideas through these following steps:
- Buying guide
- Maintenance tips
These four solutions will lead you to a perfect deck idea. So, without delaying the time, let’s get into the business.
Best Skateboard Decks – Comparison Table
|Blank Decks Warning Skateboard Deck||Check On Amazon|
|Bamboo Skateboards Graphic Decks||Check On Amazon|
|Bamboo Skateboards Graphic Skateboard Deck Only||Check On Amazon|
|Powell-Peralta Skateboard Flight Deck||Check On Amazon|
|Vision OG 31″ Skateboard, Shredder Rasta||Check On Amazon|
|Cal 7 Blank Skateboard Deck||Check On Amazon|
|Element Section #9 Skateboard Deck||Check On Amazon|
|Baker Brand Logo Black / White Skateboard Deck||Check On Amazon|
|LOSENKA Maple Skateboard Decks||Check On Amazon|
|Vision Original Psycho Stick Reissue Skateboard Deck||Check On Amazon|
Best skateboard deck brands Review
Here I will review the top 10 skateboard decks. All the board has attested in different surfaces. Based on the experience, the review might be brutal. Stick with me:
Let me start with Blank Decks: this deck won thousands of users’ hearts for its simplicity. For this reason, most of the users rated it best. Here are the reasons for the best ratings.
The first reason is its size and accuracy; everything is fair enough. Your shoes will even meet the size for its smooth surface.
Like the earlier reason, the user loves the no splintering edge. This is a good sign for durability. Sometimes this durability turns into a question.
For example, will the color ruin the wood? No. I have used three different colors for the past six months. They are still glowing.
- Simple with color variation.
- Weight resistance.
- Perfect wood.
- The weight of this wood is a bit heavy.
Concave plays a vital role in riding. This is why people are complaining about bamboo skateboards.
Here is the complaint: the concave is not well structured. I don’t fully agree with this idea. Why? Let me explain the features then.
Bamboo skateboards are made from high-quality ply bamboo. The quality ensures durability and heavy-duty.
This means any level skaters can use the deck. Even professional skaters can perform their advanced tricks. Besides riding and trick facilities, it has an attractive design.
The design is adjusted with maple wood. Do you know, Maple woods are great for control? Remember, great control ensures better skating.
So, the features prove: why I cannot agree with the idea fully?
- Maple wood combination.
- Lucrative design.
- The concave may not bring blessings for beginners.
A perfect deck for higher ollie and fast flip. Not only these, but the deck also ensures some advanced tricks. To confirm the mentioned skating satisfaction, Powell-Peralta includes the following features:
This deck is sturdy and thin. It is almost better than the 7-ply. This is why beginner to advanced can roll with flexibility. Flight decks also allow users to take the roughest test.
For example, I tried the break test last month. It was good and passed the test. To find the reason, I revealed some fascinating features.
The feature is epoxy and carbon-reinforced structure. These two combinations enhance the entire sustainability of advanced ollie.
In a word, I recommend this skateboard deck for tournaments.
- Epoxy coating
- Carbon-reinforced structure.
- Lasts more than a normal deck.
- Lack of proper maintenance can harm the board. It may result in edge chipping.
In recent years, a major change has been seen in skateboarding decks. The difference is reducing dependency on maple. We all know maple deforestation is heating the ecosystem.
So, Bamboo skateboards are pure alternatives. It is better and eco-friendly. This is why skaters prefer this.
The community is also recommending this for better POP. This is because of light and sturdiness. There is research that found that: bamboo absorbs better shocks than maple.
That being said, skaters are switching to bamboo skateboards. The board also got a green signal from me. I tried it on the rail, jumping, and halfpipe.
Each place showed pure flexibility, even under pressure. Except for the ground kickflip, I can say they produce the best skateboard decks for pop.
- Eco friendly.
- Better than maple.
- Light and strong.
- Not perfect for a kickflip.
The look of Vision Original represents true psycho. It has the proper madness a skater needs. To ensure the freaking experience, Vision used Canadian maple wood.
Canadian maple wood is famous for sturdiness and durability. This wood can endure real pop and trick. No matter what you do, it will absorb the biggest shock.
For this endurance, Psycho Stick has a moderate concave. Riding becomes smooth for this concave. A tape grip also assists it. So, you will enjoy the real 80s vibe.
For instance, I used it to learn an advanced trick. It’s better than the previous one. Now, it’s your turn to keep your Vision either in psycho or normal.
- Canadian maple wood.
- 7 ply with durability.
- Amazing graphic art.
- I did not like the packaging.
Mark Gonzales is the torchbearer of today’s skating world. He was not only a skateboarder but also an artist. This is why his deck shows a sign of revolution. He designs every deck he owns.
Cool! Right? Realizing this cool demand, Vision issued another deck. It has amazing graphical works. The work denotes old school life.
This means one can cruise or skate on the street. Since it’s focused on street skating, the board has high-quality wood. This wood ensures enough grips.
So, skaters can dance, Jump on the rails. They can even do the advanced trick with this board. For enduring the hit, MG has hit absorbance.
- Legendary color
- Hit absorbance.
- Perfect for cruising. .
- Not preferable for beginners.
The yellow and blue combination reminds me of a beautiful memory. Last week, I donated this deck for our volunteers. They work for the Covid-19 emergency supply.
Cal 7 decks feels great. Let’s talk and write about the deck features. So, the first feature is its size. This board comes with different sizes. No matter how big your shoes, it will adjust.
Next is the additional grip tape. One can fit it or the desired one. In this case, it’s preferable to use an alternative. The grip tape I am writing is not sticky.
Final things are its sturdiness and concave. All of these are moderate. For example, the 7 layers of maple wood ensure shock absorbance. This refers to taking the ultimate test.
So, Cal 7 Blank skateboard is preferable for freestyle skating.
- 7 layers of maple.
- Color variation.
- Additional grip tape.
- The grip tape could be sticky.
When the name Element comes, it reminds me of my friend Jim. Last year he added this deck to his checklist. The board skates fine because it has a 7 ply maple layer.
Element researched on the layer before putting in. They took this skateboard into three major tests. The tests are as follows: durability, absorbance, and riding flexibility.
Each of the experiments proved that: a skater can do whatever they like. But this flexibility lasts for one year. Above all these things, I liked the wheelbase and installment facilities.
Jim installed a different wheelbase. It suits the concave. In a word, riding was never so good. Simple but gorgeous. And it recommended for street and cruising.
- Maple wood construction.
- Sturdy and flexible.
- Shock absorbance.
- After a one-year performance, it starts to degrade.
Every product needs a unique selling point. Baker Brand got it at the beginning of their journey. They targeted from newbie to pros for their product. This is why most skaters choose it first. Andrew Reynolds are the co-founder of Baker band.
However, I don’t recommend them because of the Clichy truck assembly. Don’t get demotivated. Baker Brand updated that. Still, I don’t prefer wood. The wood allowed me to jump on rail, staircase, park riding.
It allowed me to feel the fullest. Yet my concern was durability in comparison to the price. Baker could not meet my expectations. Oh god! Is that too much negativity?
Sorry for being straightforward. They did not explain in depth about the product. So I gave it a try. Trust me! The loopholes are greater than the benefits. Unless you are a try guy, check the other product.
- Good for starters.
- Pre Drilled holes are good for wheelbase adjustment.
- Strong like average.
- I am not satisfied with this product.
Your hard-earned cash needs a real guide. A buying guide is good enough and that you will find it after this review. Before jumping to the manual, here is the thing you should know about this product.
First, there is no reliable information regarding the deck. So, I had to leave my cash at risk. The risk did not satisfy me. Here are the reasons:
The number one reason is its wood. Maybe its Canadian maple. Sturdy and durable as far as I experienced. My second test was durability: that was not good, but yeah, somehow, it worked. The final check was riding experience. High pop, slide, and the advanced trick was decent, but not satisfactory. This is because of the low concave.
- Attractive graphic design.
- Perfect for riding and cruising.
- Sturdy wood.
- Low concave.
Skateboard Deck Buying Guide
As I said, here is the buying guide. An expert and I combine the instructions. I hope it will assist you in picking the right skateboard deck.
The first phase of buying your skateboard deck is size. Size matters! That is why a skateboard comes in four different sizes. Here is the detail about the size.
- Full size: This deck size is above 7.5, and it’s suitable for ’14 above age.
- Midsize: Mid-sized deck starts from 7.3. It’s good for 7-8 size shoes.
- Mini size: it starts at 7.0. shoe size from 4 -6 is preferable.
- Micro size: the size starts from 6.5. This is for kids.
- If you want to ride and cruise choose 7.5
- For pool, park, rail skating choose 8 to 8-8.5
- Above 8.5 is good for verts and pools.
The next suggestion is to choose the deck style. There are numerous deck styles. But these four are my favorite. Here is the detail:
- Shortboard: Shortboard styles are perfect for park and street skating. It influences the performance graph better.
- Cruiser: Learning tricks will be easier with this deck. Cruise decks are mid-length decks. These decks are also good for riding for regular purposes.
- Old school: This type of skateboard deck has a flat nose and kicktail. For this reason, skaters tend to love pool skate, carving, and ramps.
- Longboard: Larger than earlier three boards: This type of deck is perfect for downhill and racing.
Skateboard Deck Features Tips
Another important thing I recommend is checking the deck feature. It includes numerous things. Over this, your skating comfort depends. So, here are the lists with tips.
- Width: A skateboard deck measures from 7.5 to 8.5 in width. The width is a major factor for grip. And this is the reason why experts say to prefer width before buying.
- Length: Not necessary to look: Yet, it’s recommended to the deck builder to check. For them, my suggestion is: adjust the wheelbase.
- Wheelbase: Average wheelbase distance is: 13″-15″. This measure is good enough to enjoy the ride.
- Nose and Tail: the front side is called a nose, and the back part is tail. This direction is essential for proper riding.
- Mounting holes: These holes are for wheelbase adjustment. It has four holes. So, check each hole that fits with the wheelbase.
- Ply: A piece of wood to tighten up the deck. In this case, I recommend you to check the cross gain pattern. This wood is a combination of various woods. So, it is secure.
- EFP: Effective Foot Platform means foot adjustment. It is connected with riding performance.
- Rail: Next is Rail, this is the edge of a skateboard deck. Choosing this edge needs some consideration. Here are the tips: Round rails are best for flipping. Sharp rails are good for sliding.
Every professional prefers this part as crucial. I also believe this. Concave boosts up the riding capability better than previously. So, here is the idea of concave.
- Radial: this concave looks U-shaped. It has a decent grip for any skilled riders.
- Progressive: Similar to radial, but the shape is better for beginner grip.
- W- concave: W-concave is better for speed. It pushes your toe to get a better ride.
- Tub: For mellow ride and sudden speed, this concave is good. It is also famous for sudden acceleration.
- Asymmetrical Concave: This concave is famous for powerful riding. The shape can adjust the airflow better.
- Flat: Flat concaves are preferable for cruising. The shape is moderate and has no hassle.
This option is not preferable for newbies. Better for the advanced skaters. They choose this upward curve for tricks. So, a kicktail is perfect for showing skating techniques.
Skateboard Wood material
The final part is wood construction. The finest and strongest wood is not always the right choice. Instead, moderate wood is decent for riding.
For example, maple wood with 7 layers of ply is moderate. The thin layers play a vital role. These keep the woods combination sturdy. So, check the wood materials.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the best skateboard decks?
The best skateboard decks is LOSENKA Maple Skateboard Decks. It also depend on some major things. Size, Concave, Deck construction, style, and more are included here.
There is no rule-of-thumb for choosing the best deck. Since most users ask, I refer them to check 7 layers ply with maple. I also suggest checking the concave. And my buying guide can be a good torchbearer.
Who makes the best skateboard decks?
There are numerous brands in the skateboard world. Among them: Powell-Peralta, Bamboo Skateboards, and Blank Decks are famous. All of the manufacturers maintain a quality standard.
Their product materials are excellent tuned. Plus, the customer service is excellent. I used all of their products. So, there are no clues for dissatisfaction.
What material is the best for skateboard decks?
Maple wood was the best material for the skateboard. The idea has now changed for deforestation. So, bamboo materials are preferable. These are sturdy and best for high pop and tough tricks.
When to replace a skateboard deck?
The replacement requirement needs two situations.
One: if you are a regular user.
The second criterion is: degrading. So, if your deck degrades, then replace it. Otherwise, replacing after four months is better.
However, there is an exception for regular skaters. Regular skaters need to change their deck after 1.5 to 2 months.
What is the maximum weight a skateboard deck can hold?
A skateboard deck can hold up to 272.3 pounds of weight. This is the highest weight that most of the producers claimed. And the reason is the materials. Materials like ply layers are thin. These layers have a standard. Above the standard leading to flexibility issues.
How to fix a wet skateboard deck?
The wet skateboard deck is easy to fix. Just open up the parts and let them dry. After drying up the deck, recheck the parts. If there is any water, let it dry once again. Wood takes time to get dry. So, give adequate time to the wood.
Skateboard Deck Maintenance
During my research, I found a lot of people complaining about the deck. Most of their complaints were about durability. It’s not like that your deck will last longer, but you can keep it shiny.
Lack of glow can degrade your deck life. So, proper maintenance can keep your deck shiny. Here are the maintenance tips for a suitable deck.
- Be Careful about truck tightening: too much truck tightening can ruin your skating experience. So, check the truck thread over and over. Also remember your truck size for best match.
- Clean the bearings: Experts recommend cleaning the bearing once in three months. This will help you to understand about rust and corrosion.
- Remove the dry bushings: Bushings speed the riding experience. It gets dry day by day. So, it’s recommended to replace the bushings.
- Avoid extreme weather: Extreme weather like heavy rainfall, heat, and cold. These situations change the bushing’s structure.
- Replace the grip tape: over continuous use, the grip tape starts to degrade. So, changing the tape may help you to nourish the ride.
- Store in the right temperature: we all know that wood shapes change through heat. So, sore the wood at the right temperature.
- Repair shallow things: It’s easier to repair than complaining. For example, razor rails and chipping decks are easy to repair. Go to the nearest shop and fix the slight problems.
- Never forget to check hardware: hardware like nuts and bolts degrades fast. So, it’s wise to check the nuts and bolt regularly.
- Clean your wheels every day: There are a lot of cleaning materials. Use one of them to clean up the wheels. Specks of Dirt may ruin your riding. So, don’t forget to clean the wheels regularly.
- Use spacers: Using spacers between the bearing will help you to get rid of the damage. Spacers also boost up the skating speed.
- Never step on deck with wet shoes: Wet shoes tend to reduce the gripping capacity of the deck. It may even lead to a fatal accident. So, it’s better to avoid wet shoes before stepping on the skateboard deck.
So, its time to wrap the article. I tried to share the best skateboard ideas. I also included some solutions through the buying guide. The reason for the solution is to make your journey smooth. As a blogger, no one wants to let their audience’s cash burn. I hope the entire article makes sense. You can also make a skateboard deck at home. Let me know: Which skateboard deck did you choose? What buying instruction helped you? Did you apply the maintenance guide?